Saturday, January 14, 2017

Adventure Strong ~ Key West, Jan 2017

I've been sharing some pictures of my recent trip to Key West. Now I've gotten around to compiling more detail in this article. I hope you enjoy it! Also, would love your comments on favorite places and things to do as I plan my next visit. Here's to adventure! Live it up.

I headed to Key West to enjoy a few days off, in a special place, for my birthday. Best decision ever!! This is the first birthday I've felt years were given back to me because this experience rocked so much. I'm grateful beyond words to be able to enjoy such awesome times.

I'm big on researching, leveraging things like referrals and online resources like Travel Advisor and Yelp. So, wherever I can I do a review to share the information about my experience for their consideration, just as I review others comments. You'll find a few links below in my online reviews for more pictures and info.

In this travel article, I wanted to share a few highlights with others curious and interested in visiting. Faster your seat belts! Here we go:-)


Things to do, places to see, food/drinks to be had!
  • Misc: CVS, Starbucks, Souvenirs
  • TIP on Air and Hotel: I had been looking quotes up separately. I mainly use Kayak or Expedia or Travelocity app. I found with Travelocity the bundle air/hotel option actually had a better price point, so went with that selecting an upgraded room with an ocean view. Heck yes, it was my birthday...3 words: Treat Yo Self!

Pier House Resort & Spa - Right in the action, great location! Close enough to everything, but a little ways off the main area for a nice chill, relaxing time when calling it a day. My hotel arranged for me to enjoy an early check in & called when that was ready. That was great. Walking into my room and seeing my view... epic😁 I enjoyed using my balcony to watch all the action on the water and an excellent sunset on my birthday.

Classy hotel, great service and convenient offerings like their beach bar, lounge chairs for the beach, and more. I didn't use it but they had a convenient shuttle to take guests to a few drop zones and back. I like walking around for exercise so didn't bother with the shuttle, but nice option!

Pier House Room Service
Convenient for me the first night of my arrival to enjoy the meal at my leisure on my balcony and enjoy the famous Key West sunset.  No shortage of booze cruises going by playing music which I found entertaining 😂 For dinner, I selected Key West shrimp cocktail. The shrimp = HUGE👌🏻 Got a Ceasar salad with grilled Key West shrimp. Ginger ale. The hotel gave me a choice in complimentary birthday wine or champagne. Classy hotel, well played, I like you!!😁 I selected the champagne and it was a perfect nightcap before a day of fishing adventuring the next morning. I had a hard time sleeping because I was really excited.
 


CVS & Starbucks
Yes, I'm writing about them🤣 Worth mentioning as a convenient plus. There was one of each real close to the hotel. I got my sunscreen, snacks and water for my fishing trip at CVS. Went to SBX for my birthday drink, plus daily for whatever drink I wanted.


Sunset Pier Bar courtesy Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Went on a nice stroll after dropping off my bag until check in. I ventured out to snag my first adult beverage to celebrate being in awesome Key West! This bar was my first stop and also made it my last stop before heading to the airport to reluctantly leave paradise. Only saving grace is knowing I'll return back.

I really liked this bar and highly recommend enjoying it! Fantastic view!! Great drinks and I enjoyed stone crab claws on both visits. Soooooo delicious! 
 
I enjoyed chilling out at this outstanding location, taking in the sights and activities on the water and in the sky! 
 
If you like people watching you'll get a lot of that here, too! I didn't stay for the live music but heard it was good.

Infinity Nail
Went in to get a pedicure. More treat yo self! Good job and left feeling relaxed and refreshed.


Divers Direct
Great stop for water fun activities accessories and gear! Large shop. There is a lady angler line called Reel Skipper https://reelskipper.com/collections/all I like their products, saw they had a few select retail locations and there was one in Key West, so made a point to check it out. I left buying a Billabong souvenir "Life is better in Key West" shirt for kicks for my fishing trip🤣🤘🏼


Dream Catchers Charter
Enjoyed an active day of fishing with Captain John "Merlin" from Dream Catchers charter. He rocked!! Professional, extremely knowledgeable and used his expertise to ensure I met my angler goals. This experience exceeded my expectations.

Did backcountry fishing for the first time. Highly recommend it. Such greater respect for the beauty and strength of these saltwater fish!! 
 
I caught so many species and lost count of how many😁All the fish were strong and beautiful. All were catch and release, which I liked 😍 To say I loved this fishing experience is an understatement. Epic fun!


Pier House Beach Bar
Post fishing chow down. I sat at the bar and enjoyed their Wagyu Burger 😘👌🏻and beer. Perfect meal! Knocked me out in a good way in my room. All the fun, sun, great vibes and food was a winning recipe of awesome. I took a great nap, falling asleep with that ocean view to enjoy. 

I did have their house rum punch the day before. That was good, too. Both days had live music.

Key West Roosters
You will hear or see them roaming about the island. I was tickled spotting them around town. Perfect unique sound to waking up to its cockadoodledoo at the hotel I stayed last year. This year didn't hear them in the morning, but did see them around town!:-) 



Cuban Coffee Queen
I usually like things real low key before traveling, but the morning I left was different. Had a burst of motivation to explore this new spot and try a Cuban pressed sandwich + Cuban Coffee. It was calling me and so glad I went for the walk to get some of their delicious action!!

I started walking and thought to myself hmmm maybe I should turn back. I sucked it up and kept walking, enjoying the sights. There were some Christmas decorations up so I got to see how they do it there😊
Arrived at Cuban Coffee Queen. Amusing observation was that the mural on their place reminded me that my friends and I were dropped off in front of it last year after our deep sea fishing excursion with Captain Conchs split charter.

I ordered their Caliente sandwich, side of rice and beans and an iced Cuban coffee with sugar.
  I enjoyed this delicious meal, which exceeded my expectations, at the marina taking in the view of boats and water. I highly recommend this casual, mouthwatering culinary adventure!

Key Lime Pie Co
So, I actually thought I'd pass on Key Lime pie until I walked near this place!! The delicious smell pulled me in like the Death Star tractor beams locked onto the Millennium Falcon🤣

I got a chocolate dipped Key Lime pie slice. I admit I couldn't eat it all. I don't have a strong sweet tooth. That being said it was really good! I highly recommend stopping by and getting your eat on.

Conch Tour Train Souvenir Shop by Pier House Resort
Again, proven wrong 😝 I travel real light (military brat in me) and thought no souvenirs needed. Yah right. Did pick up a few things for family. Rum cake for my sister & her family. Cooking spices for my Mom/Brother for something we'll cook together. My family all likes to cook. Picked up 2 shot glasses for me.


Conch Flyer bar at EYW Airport

Enjoyed a drink with a cute, very polite guy (love polite!) I met in the cab from the hotel to the airport. Go figure, meeting someone cool before I jet off.😝 Classic. Nonetheless, it was a fun convo, good vibes and good reminder that great things may await where you least expect it.

I'm eager to return for another round of fishing. It's not like the fresh water fishing. The fish are stronger and have bigger teeth 😁 I'll be back for more fishing, fun, sun and great vibes this unique slice of heaven offers.

If you've been to Key West, what are your favorite places and things to do? 

Would love to gather more intel for my next trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment