Saturday, September 12, 2015

Green Beret Featured Spotlight: Challenge Accepted! Meet Michael R Rodriguez

One thing I constantly strive to do in Life is to connect with others that I can gain inspiration, to learn more from their experiences and share insights that could inspire others to expand minds/explore the possibilities.

I'm thrilled about this Military Feature Spotlight because it's my first Special Forces Green Beret interview ~ WOOHOO! As I've shared in previous posts, my Dad was career Army and part of his service included being a member of the 82nd Airborne + Green Beret. He was the greatest Adventurer I've known. I've admired the extraordinary mental discipline, skills and drive of the SFs. 

I am a supporter of organizations that support our troops & veterans. One group that got on my radar this year is the Green Beret Foundation. 

GBF provides immediate and long term support to the wounded, their families, and to the families of fallen warriors. 

Yet another great example here of the vast possibilities in effectively using social media to make connections. I virtually met a few key GBF Leaders who are making a difference for this special group of soldiers, their families and their future. One of those key leaders is Michael R Rodriguez, SFC (R), & Green Beret Foundation Chief Ambassador who is making a difference through continued service in this great organization.

His interview responses below are both insightful and inspiring! I really enjoyed reading about his inspiration to join the GB, push himself to greater levels and his perseverance. I love his response to challenge ... "Challenge Accepted!" Other key stand outs includes his gratitude, his love of his family, his resiliency, and giving back, not just taking from his experiences.

It is my sincere pleasure and honor to share his responses with you! I smiled, learned more and was left inspired after reading them. Michael is a true warrior who continues to grow as a result of his outlook + drive and has the will to make a positive difference in continuing to serve this very special group, fellow Green Berets, through his work supporting GBF. 

Without further delay, please enjoy this Adventurer's responses. So glad he accepted this Feature Spotlight Interview Challenge: Meet Michael!

Special interview questions for this special SF GB Military Featured Spotlight. 

1) Tell me your story of how you discovered the Green Berets and why you choose to join this special team? 
 
I always remember wanting to join the military since I was a child, my father served in Vietnam, my grandfathers and uncles in WWII, they were my first heroes as a child. My first exposure to Special Forces Green Berets was during my first deployment to Somalia in 1993. 

As a conventional US Army soldier at the time I would occasionally see them. There was something about them, their professionalism, their uniforms were different, they stood out, there was a bit of mystique about them that I couldn’t figure out as an 18 year old Private. All I remember was thinking “Wow!! I want to be one of them!” 

2) What or who inspires you and why? 
 
People inspire me… The ability of people to come into our lives and completely change it or teach us something we could never have learned on our own. As I said my first heroes were my Father who served in Vietnam and Grandfathers and Uncles who served in WWII. They never spoke much of their actual experiences in combat. They focused on their buddies, the men they served with, the bonds they forged in War. I was amazed at how each of them could recall their buddies with such clarity and paint such a vivid picture for me, I almost felt as though I knew them too. As a child I don’t think I ever fully appreciated this glimpse into their lives…but I do now. For I have forged my own memories of the men and women I have had the pleasure of serving with in both Peacetime and War. The finest human beings with a passion for Humanity and its Salvation…these are the Warriors of today. As a Green Beret I was afforded the opportunity to work with Host Nation Forces, whether these men were from Colombia, Afghanistan, Ireland, Bolivia or any other number of countries I worked with…We all shared a common bond of service and sacrifice where cultural and language barriers didn’t matter. I also had the opportunity to help Host Nation Communities in Humanitarian Civic Action Projects by providing much needed Medical Caredigging a well for fresh drinking water, providing security so girls can go to school or building a bridge.

Interaction with these people also affected me and those are times I will never forget. So I am inspired people…sometimes it’s a fellow Warfigher and sometimes it’s a child’s smile in a far off village.

3) What are a few of your proudest and most rewarding moments? What strengths do you feel you possessed that were critical ingredients in those successes? 

The day I graduated the Special Forces Qualification Course and became a Special Forces Green Beret is one of the proudest moments in my 21 yr. military career. It was a 2-year quest that was the most physically and mentally demanding challenge in my life. Which would lead to the most rewarding career I could ever have dreamed of having. The strengths, which enabled me to be successful, were taught to me at a young age by my Father. He worked 7 days a week to support us and never complained, he lived the life of a laborer and never asked for much. This taught me to always do my best and remember where I came from because it can always be worse. So this was something I would play over in my head when my body felt like it was going to fail…or I was weary from hours of studying…..”It can always be worse”
 
The day I pinned Airborne wings on my wife’s chest at her Airborne School Graduation also is one of my proudest moments of my military career. She was 33 yrs. old but still accepted the challenge and graduated Airborne School on her 15-year anniversary of service in the US Army. Her resilience, professionalism and shared love of service to God and Country continue to be an inspiration to her subordinates, peers, superiors and me. Her service continues to this day as she just celebrated her 19-year anniversary in the US Army as a Combat Medic.

The day I was honored and presented my findings to The Explorers Club in Manhattan on my Case Study named The Effects of Atmospheric Pressure and Elevation on Traumatic Brain Injury”. Following my injuries I found that when the Barometric Pressure changed, some of my Neurological Symptoms from my TBI would also change and get worse (Headache, balance etc..). So when I was presented the opportunity to climb Mt Kilimanjaro I decided to see what would happen to someone with these deficits during the ascent. Would I be able to complete the climb? I had operated at high altitudes before some of my TBI’s but had not since and was worried that my memories of climbing would be just that…memories. When I asked Doctors and sought guidance on the feasibilitymany were against the idea due to the risks involved and the higher likelihood of developing Altitude Illnesses (High Altitude Cerebral Edema and Altitude Sickness). So when you tell a Green Beret something like “You probably can’t do that.” His reply will be exactly like mine “Challenge Accepted!” I collected data using a control group (Climbing Guide)and myself as Patient. 

We were able to reach Gilman’s Pt. on the crater rim (5681 meters) but had to turn around because some of the wounded vets in the climbing party couldn’t continue…I wasn’t one of them surprisingly and I helped get them off the mountain! I have since been inducted into the Explorers Club Membership as a Fellow because of my research efforts and have collected data on Mt McKinley with goals of climbing all 7 Summits (Tallest mountain in each continent).


4) You're amongst the Elite being SF! You may not boast about your achievements, but I enjoy promoting and connecting others, so let me do some of that with article. So, question is: What type of roles and / or companies are you interested in making connections? 
 
I feel like I just boasted too much with those questions! Right now my focus is on service to the Veteran Community. I lived my whole adult life serving my country and have decided to continue that service by volunteering with non-profits that I believe in, non-profits that are in the business to caring for the Veteran Community. I focus on bridging the gap between civilians and the military, bringing us together as Americans. I have done this as a guest speaker for fundraisers and functioning as an ambassador for the community as a whole. I have recently become the Chief Ambassador for the Green Beret Foundation. I’m also trying to plan my next research climb along with running a house with three boys (oldest about to enlist in Army) and a military spouse. So…yeah I’m a busy guy. As far as roles and/or companies I am interested in making connections….I guess an appropriate answer would be companies wiling to listen to my message about the Veteran/Military community, companies willing to support the mission of service to its nations warfighters, and any speaking or social engagements. I am open to your expert ideas on connecting with others! 
 
5) This one is a "for fun" question to appease my interest in survival skills! If you had only one tool to bring with you to survive out in no where, what would it be and why? One of my favorite books is the FM 21-76 (seriously!). I'm curious if your share here will be something new for me try out, or at least be aware. I love learning new things!:-) 
 
This is a fun question. FM 21-76 is an excellent resource and all us SF guys are very familiar with it! I have gotten into Blacksmithing and making my own blades (knives, axes, tomahawks etc…) I even presented a couple of my pieces to President George W Bush! 

Everything I make I donate to non-profits for fundraising and choose to keep it like that. I have found that most survival tools can be manufactured and a common overlooked item in “Survival” situations is Medical…. you never know how long your going to be out there and without the proper training….a simple thorn in your foot could lead to sepsis and death!! I would bring along a copy of “When there is no Doctor” a resource I took with me all over the world. It contains all those 3rd world/old world cures for todays injuries/illnesses and they work!! Everything from which roots to boil in order to  cure a headache to how to deliver a baby! Check it out I think you’ll like it.

What a Life lived in those responses! Thank you so much, Michael, for sharing your time and these fascinating glimpses into your Life's Adventure. I'm glad to hear you have found great purpose in the work you've done, to date, and continue to make a positive impact! Very inspiring!

When facing challenges, I won't forget your words...."Challenge accepted!" Great mindset!:-) 

Keep on rocking it, Michael. I have no doubt you have inspired and continue to inspire others through your example. I'm certainly left, after this interview, with more inspiration! We've got one life, but lived right one is all you need.

As Michael includes in his virtual signature:

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea" (Anything, Anytime, Anywhere)

Learn more about the contributions & services GBF provides to these special ops warriors & family http://www.greenberetfoundation.org/

Want more Adventure? Read previous posts on my blog here.
Want Aviation Adventures? Read pilot/military aviator interviews on my aviation blog http://aviatorslounge.blogspot.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment