Saturday, January 20, 2018

Wild, Windy and Wonderful Key West, Florida

Key West, Florida. One of my favorite spots in the planet. It’s a place to visit if you enjoy the laid back, chill vibes of a place unique and doing its own thing. I find it a tiny slice of paradise, as wild or chill as you want it to be. I tend to see & gravitate mainly to the chill in it. 


It’s got great vibes, people in the touristy area around Duval Street they’re happy because they’re on vacation. I like that fun, happy vibe. It’s also cool to hear a variety of languages from people coming off the cruises. I also love the strong unique, creative vibes of the residents and locals of Key West. People are being themselves, doing what they want. 


Walk around and look at the homes, different designs, colorful and full of life. I find Key West small enough to just drop in, can be with friends or solo, and totally enjoy doing whatever I want. 


This is the 3rdr year straight I’ve escaped to Key West, Florida, for my birthday. The last two years I made a point to arrive on my birthday, making my special day very memorable ones. The memories and experiences last well beyond the weekend quick trip. I have always had a blast there. 


If you love fishing you must do it here! You can’t come to Key West, like fishing and not experience these waters! I recommend fishing backcountry. I think my next trip will be flats. I’d love to catch a barracuda next time!


Don’t take my word for it, go experience it yourself. If you do tell me all about what you loved and what you’d recommend. 


Here are a few highlights and recommendations of things to see/do on a quick trip. Happy Adventuring!





Activities





  • Walked part of Duval Street, endless choices in bars, restaurants, stores


  • Conch Harbor Marina ~ walk by in am. Sunday on my way to Cuban Coffee Queen. I like their Chrisymas tree!



Hotel



  • Pier House, 2nd year in a row. I think I’ll try another hotel, in the same area, next trip. I’ve got Ocean Keys, Hyatt and The Marker on my radar. So no shortage of ocean view options.
  • I like the ocean view room. I love hearing the ocean, being close to it, seeing it and having the balcony to watch the sunsets privately! Can bring food, drinks and kick back to enjoy the view while you chill.
  • I like that the hotel has a tiny beach. Warmer temps would be good to do light snorkeling, though I bet it get packed.


Eats 

  • Red Fish, Blue Fish - fresh gulf oysters, Key West ceviche, Red Fish drink


  • Pier House room service - Key West shrimp, con leche coffee. I was tired so went with RS. I recommend going out instead. Better bang for your buck.
  • Cuban Queen -Cuban breakfast burrito, 2 coffees. Perfect! 


  • Sunset Pier bar, peel a shrimp, taco platter 2x, fresh oyster, corn on the cob. That corn on the cob was amazing!



Wanted to check out these spots, but didn’t so will add to a future trip:

Key West First Legal Rum Distillery

https://www.keywestlegalrum.com/

Fort Zachary Taylor Park - Definitely interested in snorkeling!

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Fort-Taylor

Brunch at Hot Tin Roof

http://www.oceankey.com/key-west-restaurant.aspx


Check out my post from 2017 with highlights & recommendations from that trip.

http://talkadventuretome.blogspot.com/2017/01/adventure-strong-key-west-jan-2017.html


In addition, check out Travel & Leisure’s piece in a Key West Weekend Getaway Agenda. Over the past 3 years I’ve visited most on their list.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/partner/the-florida-keys-key-west/127502?prx_t=ZE4DA3gYZAOeIPA


No comments:

Post a Comment