Sunday, October 13, 2013

LIVE in RVA ~ Rainy Day Museum Adventure

Feels like it's been raining forever. Today I ventured out to one of my Favorite spots in Richmond, Virginia --> Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA). 

I love being around creations made over time from all around the world. Beauty created from nothing. Displays of someone's unique imagination, perspective & talents. I briskly walk through the museum & love when a piece can not only capture my attention, but draw me in. By drawing me in, I feel transported into a different place, different time, different culture... & it is wonderful!:)

I was pleasantly surprised today to enjoy some new sights & some old favorites. Here are a few pics I snapped from my visit today:

Gorgeous! I see owls, what do you see?
Looks can be deceiving. Walking up to the VMFA, you have no idea what wonders reside inside. It's like an Art party bursting with flavors within. I'll give you a glimpse in my pics, scroll down!
Walking in, I'm greeted by Batman! Raaar:)
I like this little display. Let's you get your I-want-to-touchie-feelie-Art out of your system before you see the real deal. Hands off the real Art!
One of Chihuly's creations
I love the Egyptian section. I always feel like I'm walking into a movie scene. I've been up close to movie scenes. This, my Friends, is Much BETTER because this is Real History.
Egyptian treasures
Egyptian kitties
I do enjoy Amuse.
Liked this playful sculpture.
I love Native American art. 
Drums 
Feathers
Feathers & corn
Magestic bedroom ~ transports you to another time.
This caught my eye. A shrine in Tokyo by an American artist. One of the earliest visits to Japan by an American painter.
Drawn to the blue
This was an incredible piece. The detail was crazy! Lean in closer & you see the excruciating detail. A play on the eyes. A scene from afar that looks like a city growing is actually a portrait of ruin.
Walking in this room, I feel like I'm in an Indiana Jones movie. Dr. Jones!!!
Beautiful desk made in India.
Dagger w Bling! Made in India.
This made me think of Neverending Story:) Look at his eye! Almost looks real!
Pretty bird ~ painting in India.
Gorgeous piece ~ India.
Chihuly with a glimpse of Richmond.
Unexpected surprise coming out of the elevator on the 2nd floor. Glad for the discovery of this pretty piece by Richmond artist Louise Cochrane.
This piece caught my eye ~ Ernest Lawson, Cape Ann.
Love when you lean in close. You can see all the brush strokes that make up the wonderful piece.
Another beauty that drew me in. The peony garden.
Again, lean in & see the many paint strokes that make up the beauty!
This was stunning!! It looked like a photograph, but turns out it is an oil painting. You have to lean in really close to see it's not a picture! Little Sugar River at Noon.
Could barely tell this was a painting!
This one Wow'd me. Love me a great waterfall with lovely colors! 
Bridalveil Waterfall, Yosemite Valley 1904
Closer look ~ Love it!!
Another piece that drew me in ~ Before the Storm, Apache.
An old favorite.
Delicate fairy vase. Loved the detail in her wings.
Hungarian beauties.
Running free.
Enjoyed these George Catlin pieces. I especially like the night scenes with fires & torches. Amazing how a painting can look so real.The fire illumination looked real:)
Winter
Warriors
Where the buffalo roam.
Prairie life.
Fishing at night by torch light.
Tiffany necklace.
Neat nautical piece outside.
Spotted a big guy up on the hill, going to check him out.
Man & vegetation ~ giving new meaning to big foot!:)

So, just a few glimpses of the VMFA through my eyes. 

What are your favorite sights in the VMFA? Fess up! I'd love to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment