Friday, August 29, 2014

White Water Paddleboarding Adventures on The James River

You know how much I enjoy the James River from previous posts, as a matter of fact refer to my last one! Today was a blast experiencing white water paddleboarding through Riverside Outfitters here in Richmond (RVA), Virginia. 

Outside Magazine named Richmond Best River Town in the USA in 2012. River fun & love is strong here. It's a must experience! If you live in/or around Richmond or will visit Virginia and want to do something fun on the river, check out Riverside Outfitters (RO) site. They do various guided tours ~ kayaks, canoe, rafting (Class I-IV), paddleboarding & even some tree climbing.

I had to leave my iPhone in my car, else you know I'd post a gazillion pictures. :-) Instead, I snagged the picture below from ROs site. This is what it actually looked like today. Our group was about 12.


Our guides for this adventure were Ben & Brian. Both were very cool Dudes, making the experience a fun one. They were easy going, knowledgeable, patient and encouraging throughout it!

We started off near Pony Pasture and ended at Reedy Creek. We experienced a nice blend of flat water to start off, then got some needed practice before experiencing our first taste of white water paddleboarding ~ WOOHOO!

The rapids we went through were Class I-II. The session was about 3 hours. You remain active throughout. A few tips I'd share ~ use sunscreen, river shoes (Not flip flops) are a must (I got a great pair at Dicks for under $10!), stay hydrated, and be confident, but listen to instructions & directions provided by your guides. If you're a newbie at it like me, you know they've been doing this for far longer than you. 

I like how RO transports the group to the River, provides all equipment, water & snacks and picked us/equipment up to take us back. This is my second tour with ROs. I did another one a while back using duckies going down the James River. I'm certain I will use this Group again to go on another RVA River Adventure with friends or a date!

I used a LivingSocial deal. I have seen
additional deals. People, if you have not snagged this deal, what are you waiting for.... Get out & get some River Fun!

Today was indeed a Great Day, here in RVA! Here are a few shots I snapped of RO & the James. Gorgeous out!
RO
One of ROs buses.
Me, post paddleboarding, scoping out a fishing spot on the James!

Learn more about RO & all the cool river play things they do here: http://www.riversideoutfitters.net/

What fun plans do you have this Labor Day weekend? Whatever you do, enjoy the time, be safe and Carpe Diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment